How you can help
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds and walks of life to our Shropshire base, including volunteers who themselves have hearing loss.
We appreciate support with:
- Fundraising in our office in Shrewsbury and beyond
- Administration, including data entry and finance, in our office in Shrewsbury
What we offer
- The opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge, building experience for your CV – we provide references for our regular volunteers.
- You can make a vital contribution to an organisation that is passionate about supporting people living with deafness, hearing loss or tinnitus.
- Reasonable travel expenses (by agreement) and subsistence for full-day volunteers.
- Options to volunteer from our office in Shrewsbury and across Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin.
What we ask from you
We have a range of roles available and each has different requirements.
Please see our vacancies page for details of specific volunteer roles.
We do ask that you are aged 16 years or above.
Frequently asked questions
Do you have places for UK volunteers within your international programmes?
No – we work with our partners in Africa to recruit the right people in the country where the projects take place. However, if you are interested in development work, then there are opportunities to carry out research in our office in Shrewsbury or from home.
Do volunteers work directly with people who are deaf and hard of hearing?
Some volunteers do – please see our vacancies page for details of specific volunteer roles.
Will volunteering affect my benefits?
No – because we do not pay you for your volunteering, we only reimburse expenses. If you have any concerns, then please contact your nearest Jobcentre Plus.
Will you request a police background check?
For roles based in our office in Shrewsbury there is no requirement for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, because you will not be volunteering directly with children or adults with care and support needs. For roles where you will be working directly with beneficiaries, we will require a DBS check that can be completed through Signal.
Is your office accessible?
Unfortunately access to our office in Shrewsbury is restricted, as it is not open to the public and is in an old building. It has steps and stairs and lacks parking spaces. If you are interested in volunteering and believe that these restrictions may prevent you from coming into the office, please contact us to arrange an interview, at a site suitable for you, about options for volunteering.